Every weekend, Joe and I like to use all the leftovers to a create a new meal from scatch. We call it "cooking out the fridge." One weekend, our challenge was to make a meal with the barbeque sauce we scored from the Big Apple BBQ Block party. We had, jalepenos, leftover rotisserie chicke and pizza dough - and that's how BBQ Chicken Pizza was born.
This has become our fast favorite. It's yummy, easy to make and combines my love of barbeque and Italian food together. Here's the recipe - I hope you enjoy.
Ingredients (for one pie)
- 1 8oz ballof pizza dough (we found that one ball feeds 2 people, two balls feed 4 or two very hungry people!)
- 1 cup of shredded chicken (leftover rotisserie works the best!)
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated smoked mozzerella (it adds to the smoky flavor of the pie!)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalepeno, sliced or chopped
- barbecue sauce to taste. We did a spicy/sweet combination of Jim n' Nick's (for spice) and Guy Fieri's Bourbon Brown Sugar (for sweet)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Roll out the pizza dough and transfer it to an oiled sheet pan. Spread the barbecue sauce on top. (Be care not to over do it - too much sauce will make the pie soggy.) Top your pie with the shredded chicken, red onions, jalepeno, cheddar and mozzerella cheese and place in the oven. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Add the cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.